Having an abortion may seem a suitable option due to the reasons listed below:
Protestant Christian teaching that permits abortion
- If there is a risk of the baby being disabled
- If continuing a pregnancy threatens the mothers life
- If having a baby would threaten the mother's quality of life
- If the mother does not want the baby
- The woman has the right to determine what happens to her body
- The legal right to abortion largely avoids the problems of illegal, unsafe abortions
- The woman's rights outweigh those of the foetus
Islamic teaching that accepts abortion
- God gave humans free will; so do not force a woman to have a child
- "Love your neighbour as you love yourself." (Matthew 22) means people should be understanding towards those in a difficult situation.
- "Early embryos do not have the moral value of persons." (Lord Habgood, former Archbishop of York)
- Jesus healed - Christians should do the same
- God gave people the power to reason; abortion can be the "lesser of two evils."
(The Catholic church teaches that abortion is wrong)
- "Do not take life...except for just cause." (Surah 17)
Note - if asked, it is easier to contrast Catholic/Protestant views than Christian/Moslem. Give the Catholic teaching as "anti abortion" and Protestant/Moslem as "accepting abortion."