Some definitions related to this subject which you will find useful in the exam:
An attitude that involves making a premature judgement based on appearances
An action based on prejudice
A set of characteristics presumed to apply to all members of a group
Genesis teaches that all people are made "in God's image" and have equal value.
"There is no difference between Jews and Gentiles, between men and women, you are all one in union with Christ." (Galatians 3) This shows everyone is equal in God's sight.
"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you." (Luke 7)
"Do not judge others and God won't judge you." (Luke 7) Shows people should be careful of criticising others.
Parable of the Good Samaritan teaches that help should be given without regard to race.
In a sexist society Jesus treated women with dignity and respect; e.g. The woman at the well; (John 4)
"Allah does not look upon your outward appearance; He looks upon your hearts and your deeds." (Hadith) This shows it is wrong to judge on appearances.
"All of you descend from Adam... there is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab." - (Mohammed) This shows all people are equal in value.
How Believers Put Their Faith Into Action
- Encouraging the mixing of different nations / cultures / religions.
- Challenging racist organizations.
- Working in the community to combat racism
- Seeing Hijab (veiled clothing for Muslim women) as protecting their rights.
- Ensuring sexism in the work place does not take place. (with amount of pay etc...)