||GCSE Religious Education > Nature of God - Religious Teachings
What Christians believe about God
What Moslems believe about God
- Creator of the universe - "In the beginning God made the heavens and the earth." (Genesis)
- God sees and knows everything, so his judgement is perfect.
- Humans are made "in God's image." (having awareness, morality, free will)
- God is like a heavenly Father
- The Lord's prayer - "Our Father in Heaven..." shows God as holy, providing for out needs, offering guidance, judging/forgiving our sins. (Matthew 6)
- Jesus is God as a human
- Jesus is fully human (he feels temptation and pain)
- Jesus is fully God (he performs miracles)
- Christians believe there is one God, however, He is "One God in 3 persons."
- The Trinity shows God in different ways:
- The Father - All-powerful creator
- God the Son - Jesus is "God made flesh."
- God the Holy Spirit - makes God known in believers' lives
- Creator and sustainer of the universe.
- Revealed to people through the prophet Mohammed (pbuh)
- Judge of all people
- All-seeing and knowing; "He is with you wherever you are." (Surah 57)
- "He is above all comprehension, yet He himself knows everything." (Surah 6)
- "There is one God and Mohammed (pbuh) is his prophet.' Shahadah - declaration of faith.
- But the 99 names show Allah has many aspects to his nature
- For example - The All-knowing, The Protector, The Lord of Creation, The Merciful, The Humbler
- It is wrong to believe that Allah could be human
- It is wrong to make an image of Allah
- Islamic art represents Allah's perfection with geometric designs